Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Big Love Temple Cerermony...too sacred?

What is Sacred? If you look it up online you will find that Sacred is defined as: Holiness, or sanctity, is in general the state of being holy In other contexts, objects are often considered 'holy' or 'sacred' if used for spiritual purposes, such as the worship or service of gods. These terms can also be used in a non-spiritual or semi-spiritual context ("sacred truths" in a constitution). It is often ascribed to people ("a holy man" of religious occupation, "holy prophet" who is venerated by his followers), objects ("sacred artifact" that is worshipped), times ("holy days" of spiritual introspection, such as during winter holidays), or places ("sacred ground", "holy place").

There is a lot in the media right now concerning the HBO series Big Love. They will be depicting and LDS endowment. I feel somewhat knowledgeable about this. First off I have been through the LDS temple and received my LDS endowment. I feel like I can see both sides, yet know why the Church wants it kept "secret"...I mean "sacred".

There are A LOT of scare tactics in the LDS temple Ceremony. I was only 19 years old and I felt like I was being blackmailed. By God himself of course, but in retrospect by the LDS Church. You make promises to NEVER tell anyone about it. You see it then become secret(sacred). But why not tell anyone. Well to put it simply much if not most of what goes on in the LDS temple is a complete knock off from the Masons Ceremony. Here is a web site that compares the two side by side.
http://www.mormonismi.info/jamesdavid/masendow.htm

Again why the secrecy? Well I believe it was to hide the fact that it is copied from the Masons. Still to this day, I have so many uneasy feelings about the whole things. But at least I am now in a place to heal from it.

So Big Love is going to show the Endowment. Good for them, its feels almost validating to know that the Church isn't going to be able to hide all of its "warts" with the attention it is getting now. The showing of the Endowment will surely be an eye opener for Masons around the world. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment